1.) There are deer all over the place here! I have seen two dead deer on the road driving Kevin to school since we have been here (that's only fifteen minutes from our apartment)

I also saw one the other day frolicking through a old corn field. Every time I see one along the road, I am so surprised! Before we moved here, I just pictured the city life...but Philadelphia has a lot of beautiful parks and foresty areas.
2.) I didn't expect the drivers to be so DUMB! I have found that my new pet peeve is when drivers turn into a shopping area when there is a double yellow line. I always have to slam on my brakes when this happens because they also don't use their turn signals until the very last second.

I also had a guy honk at me coming out of a shopping area while I was sitting in traffic. He was trying to get my attention so he cut in front of me and merge into traffic going the opposite direction. (Does that make sense?) It made me really mad. One, it is dangerous...two, its against the law!
3.)People here in the east fall into three categories! 1. Don't know anything about the Mormon religion. 2. Know about the Mormon religion but don't understand why we are so "uptight about our standards". 3. Love Mormons. The people who do know the Mormon religion but don't know why we don't drink and stuff, usually try to persuade you to give in. This is so different for me because back in the west...I NEVER had this problem. Not even in high school. If I were to tell someone I didn't drink because I was a Mormon, people just shrugged it off. Here, people want to see what you'll do...
4.) I didn't expect to fall in love with the people here despite their differences. I always look forward to testimony meeting here. The members are so strong because of the things they face everyday! My testimony grows every testimony meeting when I hear about how someone was able to use the atonement to get over a drug addiction and join the church, or when I see an investigator stand up and bear her testimony for the first time even though she is nervous and doesn't know what to say. I love their faith. Today, I was touched by the many converts that stood up in our ward to bear their testimonies and shared the struggles they were able to overcome. It made me realize that the church is TRULY for everyone!!! I have had many opportunities to share the gospel since I have been here, but I get so nervous about being rejected. I often make the excuse..."This person will never change because of this or that..." however, the members in my ward are great examples of people who were able to change through the atonement. Before I got here, I really wanted to open my mouth and share the gospel more. On my fridge, I have a quote that helps me remember the importance of being a good example and sharing the gospel. It goes like this...
My understanding is that the most important mission that I have in this life is: first, to keep the commandments of God, as they have been taught to me; and next, to teach them to my Father's children who do not understand them.-George Albert Smith
That being said, I love the experiences I have gained from living here for the past four months. Even if the drivers are terrible!
4 comments:
I miss Philadelphia! even the rude people.... There are MANY who don't understand our religion there. That's why I just never brought it up in high school! It would've added to the teenage drama...
You are so sweet! I love all of your insights to Philly life!
It sounds like you have learned a lot! I'm kind of excited to get out of this Rexburg "bubble" and be around people of other faiths.
Those pictures are amazing, the deer, the car...wow! It makes me want to visit Philadelphia. I am glad that you are enjoying your time there!
Post a Comment