
At my fertility appointment before Thanksgiving and Christmas, my doctor told me he wanted me to stop eating sugar, and no fruit juices. I tried for a couple of weeks, but once all the holiday sweets were coming out (and since that is how I rewarded myself after a good work out), I couldn't do it. Since then, it hasn't gotten easier...Valentine's Day, Birthday, all the girls nights... there were just so many temptations left and right. I also had a hard time thinking that sugar was affecting my fertility now that I am somewhat regular after exercising so I didn't really heed his advice.
Now, that I have gone a whole month without as many temptations from holidays, I have noticed that I do have a sugar-addiction. I raid my cabinets everyday for just a little treat. If I can't find something chocolaty, I eat marsh mellows, or red hots that I keep for sugar cookies. Or sometimes at the store, I will buy myself a little treat. If there is a baby-shower...first thing I grab is the sugary concoctions people made!
So now that I have noticed this weakness in my life, I decided my doctor probably is right, and he probably does know what he is talking about. So, I told myself that once I started another cycle, I would stop eating candy, cakes, cookies, fruit juices, and stuff like that. I'm not going to completely take out sugar in my life (if I have a bread recipe that contains sugar, I'm going to make it and eat it), but any of the junk food sugars I am going to avoid!
SOOO PRAY FOR ME! This is already rough. I already raided my cupboards and ate a marsh-mellow without thinking. But I am determined to stop this month, and if I have a craving...I'll have to grab an apple or strawberry, or something. Again, I'm not doing this because I want to lose more weight or anything like that...it's because I want to extend my family. And I already know that that has been motivation enough for me to lose exercise, so hopefully I can just continue to keep that in mind while I do this.
Who knew there would be THIS many sacrifices!
5 comments:
Good luck Ellen! I have been thinking about cutting sugar myself. I think you are going to be my inspiration!! Now if only I could get motivated like you to exercise ...
Good luck! You can do it! :)
Good luck! I really admire you. In fact, you've inspired me... but I'm not as strong as you. I'm going to go 1 week without chocolate and dairy to see if it helps with Sophie's fussiness. If I make it the one week then I will join you in a sugar-free lent-type fast! That will be for my teeth and getting in shape. And just to teach myself some control!!! It's SOOOO hard for me! I'm JUST like you. I seek out treats, I buy them at the grocery store. I've even raided Marc's church bag and the candies he saves for his Sunday School kids.
Ellen, you are awesome. I really struggled with no-sugar too when I did my challenge this year. But one suggestion I have, is find something that tastes good to you, that isn't junk food or sugary. For me, it really helped a lot to have some munchies that werent cookies or candy. Some things I liked: Sun-chips, raisins (I don't know if you are swearing off natural sugars, too?), pretzels, fruit leathers (way good!) They also make sugar-free pudding, and I always made sure to have some of that ready in little snack-size containers! You can do it!!!
I promise we will start helping you when you are at our apartment. We'll swap out ice cream for dips or something. Good luck!
Post a Comment