Anyway, the first part of the appointment was pretty stressful. I have been wanting to get glasses for a really long time because my eyes are getting annoyed with my contacts lately and it would be nice to have a nice pair of glasses I wouldn't feel embarrassed about wearing out in public when my eyes need a break. Kevin had me read the eye chart, and then he tried to figure out my prescription. This part took the most time because I am a difficult patient. Every time he would ask me which was better, "1 or 2" I would say one, and then change my mind! I have a hard time with these tests sometimes because I get so nervous that it won't be perfect, and I want to be able to see. But, Kevin was great with me. Later, the doctor over him came in to make sure he did it right, and she said he did perfect! So, of course I was very PROUD!
Kevin then did a few more testing. He dialated my eyes, checked their pressure, and found a little hair on my eyeball. He pointed it out to the Head Doc. when she came in again. She said she thought the hair was under my contact and that it might come out. So, when I took my contacts out later for more testing, she looked again and said that it was actually embedded into my cornea! (EWWWW) So, they numbed my eyeball...and took the hair out. It was lucky Kevin noticed it because it was such a tiny little hair and if it had stayed there, it could have gotten infected. As she pushed it out, she said that it left a mark, so it must have been there for awhile. Thank goodness they got it out!
Later, I went to pick Kevin up from clinic after work and he told me his teacher/head doc. gave him a great score for working with me, and they discussed what had happened with the hair. Kevin taught me that your cornea is constantly growing and so my contact must have had that little piece of hair on it and the cornea started growing over the hair gradually. Luckily, it didn't have a follicle. If it had a follicle it could have been worse and could have carried a lot more bacteria.
It was great being able to go in and see Kevin. I was really proud of how he did. He made me feel perfectly comfortable and taken care of. I am amazed at how much he has learned in the past year and a half! And I have to admit, he was pretty cute in his white coat and his clip board. Before I left his clinic, he helped me turn some things into the receptionist. As I was about to leave, he shook my hand and said, "Ellen, it was a pleasure meeting with you!" Then he gave me a little kiss. It was pretty funny seeing how the other patients reacted to that! He's going to be a great optometrist! :)
6 comments:
That's so awesome that Kevin is doing so well. And pretty funny that he was professional the whole time, until he gave you that kiss :)
that's sounds so sweet of Kevin. I have never heard of a hair getting stuck in your eye, good thing he found it!
Cute! Crazy with the hair in your eye - my nephew actually just had the same thing, but his did get infected. Not good! Sounds like Kevin's doing a great job!
Haha I love that he treated you so professionally! If I were one of his other patients waiting there and heard him say that and then kiss you I would have been a little nervous when he said goodbye to me :)
way to go Doc! Glad he found that hair, could that have been a reason your eyes were annoyed of your contacts?
What a great patient you are too Ellen, I don't many patients who get a good bye kiss. :)
That's cute! I'm sure he'll be a great eye doctor! I'm glad he found the hair in your cornea.
Post a Comment