Friday, June 24, 2011

Book of Mormon

One of our ward goals is to read the entire Book of Mormon in a year, it also happens to be the Virtue Project in Personal Progress, which happens to be one of my New Year's Resolutions...(Finish Personal Progress again).

In March, we had a BOM read-a-thon with the young women to help them get started on this project. Since we wanted this to be a personal experience for them still, we decided that we would spend a day reading the BOM from Alma 30 to as far as we could go in a day. That way the Young Women could CHOOSE to read the first half on their own, or they could join us and just read the last half. Well, despite our efforts to help them, only two showed up because other girls had other obligations. However, we had a blast reading together and there was a great spirit there, and a lot of questions from the girls.

We didn't finish the last half however, we only got to about 3rd Nephi 12. So it was up to them to finish the rest again. Well, in the last couple of weeks, I decided it was time for myself to finish the rest of the Book of Mormon. Every night before I went to bed, it seemed to be calling my name to finish reading it and I couldn't take it anymore.

So, I am happy to report...I finished reading the Book of Mormon today! And what a great feeling of accomplishment I had! Last time I read the whole thing it was 3 days before New Years and I wanted to finish it because President Hinkley had issued the challenge. I remember by the end I was just exhausted and I was trying to read it as fast as I could.

This time, I felt more focused on what was being said because I didn't have a deadline, and I really wanted to gain a lot from it rather than just saying that I finished it.

Now that I can say that I have REALLY read it, I have such a greater testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel and the words translated in the Book of Mormon. Reading in Mormon today I read,

"But the Lord knoweth the things which we have written, and also that none other people knoweth our language; and because that none other people knoweth our language, therefore he hath prepared means for the interpretation thereof." Mormon 9:34

It is amazing how everything fits together when you read big chunks at a time. Of course we know that Heavenly Father prepared Joseph Smith to obtain the plates, translate them, and restore the church. When I hear stories of Joseph Smiths life, or quotes by Joseph Smith, it always amazes me that he was able to accomplish so much in his lifetime that would bless so many other lives throughout time. I know he couldn't have handled all the burden in his life and restore the church on his own. In the last half of the Book of Mormon, (in Mormon and most of Moroni, there are a bunch of verses about how God does not cease to perform miracles in our day. I believe that the Restoration of the Gospel is a perfect example of this...and I know that this is true from serving in the Young Women's. When I first accepted this calling, I was worried about how I would be able to bless the YW lives spiritually. I hate giving lessons, or bearing my testimony in public because I don't consider myself a public speaker at all! I always stumble to think of the right words. But I know that when I listen to the promptings of the spirit and bear my testimony somehow the words come out eloquently and exactly how I want them to come out.

I also have gained a testimony on the importance of reading your scriptures everyday. I am not perfect at this, but I know that in the last couple of weeks, through reading my scriptures everyday, I find things that I need to hear for myself, for my calling, and for my family!

Reading the Book of Mormon has been such a great blessing, and through reading it, I have learned some things that I need to work on for myself as well. Even though I know that I have many weaknesses that I need to perfect, I actually look forward to working on those weaknesses because now I have a clearer picture of my potential.

In closing, I would like to share another scripture that spoke strong to me this morning... Mormon 9:8

"Behold I say unto you, he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yea, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them."

I know that this church is true, and because I know that this church is true, I know that Jesus Christ is at the head of this church and that he speaks to prophets in our day to guide us so we can live with our Heavenly Father again. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of His children. So much, that he sent his only begotten Son to atone for our sins. I know that if we repent and use the atonement, we can make weaknesses strengths and become more perfect beings. I know that I can have an eternal family. I know that the scriptures are here for us to use to strengthen us and to guide us. I know that because this is the TRUE and only church that has been completely restored, that the work will never cease. No matter what happens and what persecutions the church has to endure, the gospel will always be true. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

And I can't help but post this testimony as well!

No comments: