Thursday, June 2, 2011

Embittered.Torn. & so-so.

(***WARNING*** This content was written to express my feelings and emotions as of late) It may be a little heavy, but I never write in my journal, and I don't really care if others read this or not.


A couple of months ago I got really upset with my doctor. By the way, I have gone in for a bunch of tests...ultrasound, HSG test (which by the way is probably the most uncomfortable painful test I have done), and another blood test to check my hormones. The ultrasound showed that everything was normal, the HSG showed that everything was normal, and the blood test showed that everything was normal.

My doctor told me that there should be no reason for me to not get pregnant on my own, but he gave me some thyroid medication because my hormone level was normal, but on the high side of being normal (if that makes sense). Then he told me that he suggested I get an IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) just in case we weren't timing things right. We asked him what would be the percentage of getting pregnant doing this and it was like7%....and it goes up every month you try it...however, it can cost anywhere from $200- $5000 to do it and my health insurance doesn't cover procedures so it would be out of pocket. Since it costs so much and the percentage was pretty low, Kevin and I decided that we would wait to do it. Especially since I got my bills from the hospital back these last couple of months in the mail! It was not easy writing those checks.

Anyhow, Kevin and I explained to the doctor that we could not afford to do this so we would have to think about it...and then he talked to us about trying clomid again while we thought about it. I told him I liked that idea (even though I have been on it before and it made me CRAZY mean and I cried all the time!)

So the next month when I was supposed to get back on clomid, my doctor decided at the last minute that he didn't want to put me on it anymore and that he wanted me to come in and talk to him...(Keep in mind...I don't normally have a car, plus I am charged money every time I go see him, and his office isn't exactly close). I told him I could not go in and talk to him because I didn't have a car. So he talked to me on the phone (which I could tell he wasn't happy about...) about how he thought I should do the IUI. Then I told him that Kevin and I didn't feel like we could do an IUI because we don't have the money to do it since my insurance doesn't pay for procedures. He asked me if I could maybe get a new insurance plan, or wait to get the IUI, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah...and somewhere in the conversation he mentioned to me some results on a test that conflicted with the results he told me about earlier... Again I told him, we couldn't get a new insurance plan because of our financial situation (plus, many insurance companies don't have great infertility coverage because they don't want to add another person to the plan...they lose more money that way), and we probably wouldn't be able to afford to get an IUI until we are out of school which is about 2 yrs from now.

Then his response was what really surprised me..."Well, then I guess you will have to wait till you are done with school to afford it then." I don't know if its just me...but this kind of made me upset. I felt like he was unwilling to help me figure out what to do next, and the way our conversation went made me feel pressured to spend thousands of dollars. I almost felt used for my money, rather than treated because all the conversation was about was money...and "come in for a visit and pay me money so I can tell you how to spend your money!" Plus, the fact that he had brought up different test results than what I had received from the lab, made me feel like there could have been some skulduggery/dishonesty as well. I think I would have felt better if he had sympathized with our situation a little bit more, but he showed no sympathy.

After the phone conversation, I immediately started sobbing. I felt like there was no hope for us now. And since then, I have talked to a few people about it. Recently, I was given a name of a doctor that is supposed to be the best in the nation. I have been holding on to it for about a month now but am unsure on whether I am ready to call him or not. This last month, I felt like I should just take a break from caring because I was SO busy with the fundraiser and emotionally unstable as it was. In that way, I was kind of glad that I wasn't put on clomid! It could have made last month a nightmare!

However, now I am debating on whether I should just keep it easy and just forget about everything and keep living my life, or if I should call this doctor and make an appointment and see what he has to say...because we've been trying for 2 years...so how could everything be normal? Either way, I know we will have kids of our own someday. I have felt that blessing many times praying. I think the main thing that makes this so hard is the financial side of everything. In a book I bought last year, "conquering infertility", Dr. Alice Domar mentions that the reason infertility is so hard is because there are SO many stressers that go along with it. Financial, emotional, physical, spiritual,etc...and stress is also one of the causes of infertility so it is a never ending cycle. So as you can see...as of lately, we have been torn...and so the praying continues. But mainly, I am just happy to be done with my old doctor.

13 comments:

Bryn said...

Im glad your done with that doctor too!! what a butt-head!

Susi said...

Yeah he sounds like a total idiot!!! I would never go back to him. I'm sure there are plenty of great docs you can talk to. Have you thought about alternative medicine? My friend in Utah tried for years and went to this guy and her ob was awesome & she finally was able to get pregnant. I can try to find his info for ya.

Raquel said...

That is so frustrating! But it sounds like he is not doing everything he can for you or solving your problems, so maybe a change of doctor is just what you needed!

Eric and Caralee said...

Jerk! I'm glad you're not going to him anymore either.

teresa said...

i'm so sorry sweet girl. i can't imagine how frustrating this must all be! i hope your new doc is more understanding and can offer other options!

Angela Mencl said...

what a punk! want me to beat him up for ya? I am sorry you are going through all of this! If you need to talk just give me a call

Brittany Shore said...

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about how frustrating everything has been. I agree with Susi sounds like your doctor is an idiot! My Aunt and Uncle struggled with infertility problems for a while, but eventually were finally able to conceive. I know my Aunt talked about how it can be such an emotional roller coaster at times. Just remember that the Lord has a plan for you and he always keeps his promises. Don't lose faith, things will work out in the end. Sometimes it just takes a little while for Heavenly Fathers plans to come into play. I hope your next doctor will be much more understanding. I'll be thinking of you and you'll be in my prayers!

Erin Anderson said...

Ellen, I am so sorry to hear about the frustrations and sadness that you are experiencing with infertility right now. I am so grateful that you are sharing it though. When I trying to get pregnant with Lizzy I found this forum that has a section for people who having been struggling to concieve. IT is a HUGE support system with a lot of people talking and giving advice and just offering support to others. You might like it.
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/forums/ Thanks again for sharing. You are such an amazing strong beautiful woman. I love you =)

Dallin and Destiny said...

I am sooo sorry Ellen. I can somewhat understand your frustration. I can't believe that dr. What a dummy!!! Sounds like you should be in good hands with this other dr. Keep us updated though. You guys are in our prayers.

Brit said...

ellen i admire you so much. im sure your testimony of patience has only increased over the past 2 years, and is such a beautiful inspiration to the rest of us. i have no doubt in my mind how perfect of a mother you will be. i love you!

Jaymie and Justin said...

That Dr. sounds like he is trying to milk you guys for money. Sorry about the stress. I hope you feel some peace about the situation soon!

Debbie said...

Yeah, that's a bad dr. It seems like he just wanted to do it for the $$$. It's all about the patient and if the dr. doesn't try everything to make the pt. comfortable and happy, then find another. Sorry for that awful experience!

Annalisa said...

I cannot believe the way that doctor dealt with you. I am sorry you had to endure that. I know you are doing everything that you can and are supposed to be doing to create and eternal family. I also know that while you are waiting to create yours, you have been a mother like figure to many of our girls who do and do not have mothers. You are so dedicated to your calling and what you are doing is affecting eternity so know your time is being well spent right now. But, when that day does come that you have your first child (and it will), no matter how far away, how expensive, how painful, or whatever method you used, it will be the happiest day of your life! (At least that's what word on the street is from my good friend Eva who couldn't get pregnant for 7 years). Love ya.