Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Doctor


Well, we had our doctor appointment and I am not going to share a whole lot of it just because for some reason a lot of it seems so much more personal this time for some reason. Maybe I'll open up about it later...but maybe not.

I was REALLY nervous about this appointment! Maybe more than ever. I remember crying the night before because I was stressed out about it...BUT it went really well! The office staff was VERY friendly and even copied us a copy of our records (FOR FREE) the other office didn't do it for free! When we met with the doctor, he was very kind and you could tell he had read our records ahead of time because it seemed like we didn't have to really catch him up. I felt like he was a little more sympathetic to us as well...Sometimes I feel like doctors kind of push us to the side because Kevin and I look so young...In fact, I have had multiple doctors say, "We'll you don't really need to worry because you guys are young and have a lot of time." Yes, we are young but if we keep getting pushed to the side, then we won't be very young for very much longer will we! haha! Anyway, he seemed like he understood our frustrations a little more, and it made me feel valued as a patient.

Later, I got an ultrasound and check up! The difference between this check up was that he actually diagnosed me! I was shocked at how easy it was for him and with some of the results, but EXTREMELY happy with it! It's GREAT knowing what is actually wrong now so that Kevin and I can make better decisions on what we want to do next! One thing I found out about my self is that I have Hypothyroid. (Well, pretty sure I do...I had to take another blood test to see what my levels were but because of Hurricane Irene...I haven't heard what the results are yet.)

After the check up, our doctor talked to us more about my diagnosis and some options we could do. I also asked him if it was okay for me to run a half marathon and he told me that he didn't recommend it. He didn't want me to lose any more weight because then he might have to change the dosage of my medication, or how I take my medication. Part of me was relieved with this, but another part of me is SUPER disappointed because I have worked so hard...and I hate feeling left out or feeling limited to what I can and can't do! It's one of the hardest parts about this trial.

After our consultation with our doctor, I got my blood tested, and we talked to a financial counselor at his office. She was super nice and understanding! It was great to have someone remind us about what our insurance covered, and what we could do for things that don't cover us...because another hard part about this trial is financial burden. A lot of insurance companies do not offer good coverage for infertility because they do not want to pay for another person on your plan! (Insurance companies do not have souls!). So, it was great hearing about other options so that we could make the wisest decision for us financially as well!

All in all, it was a great appointment and we are both very happy with how it went! Now we just have to pray about what we should do next...another hard part...but at least we know what is wrong now!

8 comments:

Shilo and Betsy said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are happy! I hope you guys are able to figure everything out now. I love you :)

Raquel said...

Yay for good doctors!! I'm glad you got some answers!!

Caralee said...

I'm so happy to hear that Ellen! Especially after that last beast of a doc you went to!

ReimFam said...

Hope this is a turning point for you guys! Glad to hear this appointment went better than the last doctor!

Unknown said...

*great comic*

Were happy it went 100 times better for this doctor. It is relief to have answers and be able to work with solutions.
We love you both!

Bryn said...

Finally!! Im so glad things went well! I love you Ellen!

Erin Anderson said...

Glad to hear that you are getting some answers. =)

Brittany Shore said...

Ellen I'm so happy that things went well! It sounds like your new doctor is ten times better than the last.