Sunday, June 3, 2012

Where to start???

It has been FOREVER, I know! Life has been very busy these last couple of months. We finished our time with Kevin's family for our first half of his externship in D.C. and then stayed with my sister and her family. It was great being able to spend time with my sister! Her family lived in Turkey for three years so since they were living in D.C. I have enjoyed getting to spend time with their family...especially seeing my nieces and nephews.

While at my sister's, Kevin and I enjoyed weekly date nights, playing with the kids and helping out around the house. Both of my nephews were in soccer, so some days were crazy trying to get everyone ready, have dinner, and make sure everything was in order, but I kind of enjoyed the business.

I also started training for a 10k while at my sister's. It was hard because I am used to running on a treadmill on days when it is rainy or on days when its so busy that I don't run till 10pm. So I missed more running days this time training for it, but I am glad I had a goal to motivate me to keep running and to keep in shape. I just finished the 10k yesterday so an update on that will come soon!

While at my sister's we got to watch my nieces and nephews for a weekend while my sister and her husband went to New York for the first time. I loved playing "mommy" and enjoyed having girl time with my nieces. Kevin enjoyed being a soccer dad that weekend, and got to witness one of my nephew's first goals ever!
(Trying to get my niece to smile and looking like a DORK)

(I actually have another nephew that isn't pictured in any of these...It's hard to get a good picture of him because he is always running away from me...He's 12 and afraid of cooties).

During our time there, I was also asked if I could volunteer my time as a Primary Chorister! This has always been a dream calling for me so I was happy to do so! It was a blast teaching the children new songs and thinking of creative games to do with them. I especially loved how my nephew would always yell, "That's my Aunt!" every sunday. :) My favorite "game" we did was trying to make our "Mother's cry when they practiced their Mother's Day Song. (found this online). I had a cute picture of a mother, poked a hole in her eye, and when the children sang really good, I squirt water at them with a squirt gun through her eye. I accidentally squirt a few girls in their eyes (I wasn't watching while I squirt), but they forgave me pretty quickly because it was such a fun game! The only real issue I had with it was that a few boys tried to steal my water gun.

Besides that, my sister and I enjoyed shopping. Especially since I didn't really pack short sleeved shirts for this externship for some reason. I guess I kept thinking that since the Externship started in the winter it would be cold most of the time. However, it got hot early this year. It was up in the 80's in mid Feb. I still don't have any shorts. They are all packed away in our storage unit and I won't be able to get to them until this next Wednesday! I am looking forward to having them soon!
(My new haircut my sister encouraged me to FINALLY do! Next time I am going to get a little bit more off the back)

Last week, we started our 2ND Externship, back here in Philadelphia. We are living in a small, one bedroom apartment for 3 months and then heading to Westminster, Colorado. It has been great having our own space again and having Kevin all to myself. Although we loved living with family, it has been nice feeling like we can talk about important life decisions, and walk around in our underwear if we want to ;) And as I mentioned earlier, its nice to have my own time to be able to run and schedule normal everyday things for myself.

Since we got here, I have been applying for jobs in the retail business. I say retail because I figure I can transfer when we go to other externships and although I love nannying...I have to have a somewhat open schedule so I can schedule dr's appointments in the morning since he is monitoring me on my thyroid medicine and other hormones. I turned in a bunch of applications last week, so we will see what happens. Other than that, life hasn't been too eventful. We've just been settling into normal life again, and Kevin has been studying for two boards that he has to take this summer.

So that is life, thus far! Oh...and we now officially only have one more year of school! I CAN'T WAIT TO BE DONE! OHHHHH...and we went to Jamestown and Williamsburg, VA but that deserves it's own post so I will post that later along with a 10k post.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Sounds like you guys have been keeping busy. Hooray for only 1 more year of school!!! And your hair is super CUTE :)Miss you.

Celeste said...

Love the hair cut and LOVE primary singing game.