Monday, July 21, 2008

Week One


For those of you who haven't noticed already,I have a TERRIBLE habit of biting my nails! Well, I figured this would be the perfect time to try to stop since I don't have a piano or violin teacher telling me to keep them short. If I can get into a good habit of not biting them before school starts, then by the time I get a piano teacher again, I can start trimming them instead of biting them!

I have attempted to stop biting many times before, but like any chain smoker would say, "It's not that easy!" Unfortunatly, they don't have patches or gum out there aimed just for those who bite their nails. I guess fake nails would be kind of like a patch, but even then, they don't have some chemical going into your body to help you! I have tried fake nails thinking it would help, but even those don't stop the craving! So this time I have decided to try something a little different! Anyway, Kevin and I agreed that having support group might make it easier. So, every week, I plan to take a picture of my hands so that you can watch my nails grow! Hopefully this will help me stop biting knowing that there are people waiting to see if I failed them! It gives me more pressure to stop too because I don't want to feel like I failed!

So here is the first week! Try not to be too horrified! Like I said, I am a TERRIBLE nail biter!If you have any tips to help get me through the first couple of weeks, I would appreciate them! The longest period of time I went through without biting my nails was a month, because someone told me they would reward me if I stopped. I went with it, but once I got my reward, I started biting again!

Reasons why I bite my nails:

Bored
Nervous
Anxious

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ellen you are hilarious!! I am the occasional nail biter too, my suggestion that my mom used to always tell me was paint them (usually clear) just so you don't like the taste if you bite them. Also vitamins help make the stronger, they grow pretty and it is not as tempting to bite them. :) Good luck, and a month for your reward is amazing!! Good idea Kev! haha

Denise said...

Ellen you will do great. I drink alot of milk which makes my nails very strong so I don't want to bite them because they are too hard. Just think how you will be able to pinch someone and make it really hurt. Just kidding. I'm sure Kevin doesn't want to get hurt from your long nails! Good Luck! See them in a week!

Jentry said...

You'll be great. I think the best way to get over a bad habit is to replace it with a new one. So every time you want to bite them you have to do something productive. Maybe knitting or carry around your cross stitch? I used to be a nail biter myself and my mom is the worst nail biter in the history of mankind. Good luck!

Laura said...

My sister-in-law had the same habit. You can read about what she did to stop here: http://pennylesshurst.blogspot.com/search?q=nail+biting

I'll ask her what it was that she put on her nails, but it did the trick for her.

Good luck!