Thursday, September 25, 2008

EAR TRAINING!!!!!!


Eeeeek!!!! Things are a bit scary over here. Tuesday, I have a HUGE test for my Ear Training Class! This isn't the first time I've taken the class...I am AWFUl at this class! For those of you who don't know about Ear Training...basically you listen to your teacher play 16 measure melodies and write down the correct notes and their rhythms. We also have a section on just rhythm, harmonics (which is a part where you have to listen to all four voices of a song and write all the right notes and their chord values), and then there is a whole separate section on just chords alone!!!! So, as you can see it's not a music majors favorite class unless they have developed this skill before they came to college and can play the piano well!

Anyway, I have been working hard in preparation for this test, and have found two favorite tools! Sorry if this bores you...I found this website called the rhythmtrainer.com! You can pick what kinds of rhythms you want to quiz yourself on, and then go at it! I have been getting better everytime I use it! Another tool (one I have been using for years, but much more lately is a site called musictheory.net!!! It's great because it has trainers on it so you can test yourself on intervals, chords, scales,key signatures, etc! It's helped me out a lot in my class so far, and I actually love to quiz myself on intervals and find out how fast I can answer them! Last night I got a 98% on the rhythm trainer, and a 94% on intervals!!! I have a hard time hearing differences between a tritone and Major 7th! Sorry...this is such a nerdy post! I'm just excited to take my test and find out if any of my efforts are working, but a little nervous that it won't help! Besides doing those practices, I have been practicing writing out melodies as I hear them! I have improved a lot it seems! Anyway, Hope that didn't bore you all too much!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That test does sound like a music major's nightmare! You will do great because of all your extra preparation you are putting in. Good luck, we will be thinking of you. At the same time I also think that is a cool skill to master to be able to pick out each note just by hearing it! WOW, I am totally impressed by you.

Melarie Wheat said...

Good luck!

Mike and Kelly said...

Yeah, I really don't like ear training.

mini-wheats said...

I know...we've had this discussion...I think you may be one of the only people who understand me!

Jentry said...

Oh sister, do I ever hear ya. Those websites sound so cool, I wish I would've known about those in those long dark dreary days of "Aural Skills". I used to practice singing my solfedge on the way home and to school. I'm sure everybody loved it. I'm going to go to those websites and see how bad I've gotten at it.

Jentry said...

Okay so I just did some interval ear training and I was awful. Anything about a perfect 5th I was a gonner. I always had a hard time with M vs. m 6ths, still do. Does it just keep going and going or do you usally stop after so many times? I'm commited now, I must increase my score!

mini-wheats said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mini-wheats said...

I usually stop at 100! It's a pretty fun game in a way though! They also have a chord trainer, and scale trainer and other stuff (you've probably already seen though!) but I am not very good with the chord stuff online!