Friday, February 27, 2009

My next goal...


Today in my "Family: Proclamation to the World" class, we had a guest speaker from Texas on the phone. She is not a member of the LDS church, but a strong, faithful Christian. Her story was inspiring to me. It was amazing to hear about the way she was raised and her life story. I would love to share it, but at the same time, I feel as if I shouldn't because it's not really my story to share. All I can say is that she grew up in a rough family in extremely harsh situations. It is amazing to me that she was able to remain positive and learn from all of the challenges that were put in her way. To me, it showed that there are people out there who are truly READY to receive the gospel and are waiting for us to share it with them. At the of class, we were permitted to ask questions. In response to one of her questions, she talked about how important it is to use our talents and everything we can offer to help people learn to become better people.

I have been thinking a lot about moving away from Rexburg lately, and I am EXTREMELY excited to be able to be an example and teach others about the church. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but today in class I felt impressed to memorize the hymns in the hymnbook. I'm not really sure why, but after I had this impression I remembered a letter from my younger brother David who is on his mission in Nicaragua right now. He loves sharing the gospel there, and tries to use every second of his mission that he can teaching others. When he rides the bus, he and his companion sing hymns to start up a conversation. When he gets his hair cut, he preaches to the barber. I love his devotion to the gospel and his courage to speak up. Like I said, being a missionary has been on my mind for quite a while now. So...call me crazy if you wish, but I have decided that after I finish my senior recital, I am going to start a LONG process of memorizing all the hymns in the hymnbook. I don't care if it takes me all my life to memorize all of them. I am going to do it. Perhaps it will be more for my benefit....I don't know. I am going to learn all of them. When I move to where ever Kevin ends up for Graduate school, I want to sing the hymns everywhere I go. I'm not sure if I will or not, but I would like to try. I don't know if I am as courageous as my younger brother or not.

Anyway, that is my new goal after my senior recital. I am sorry if I have started making my blog way too personal. I guess I have never really had an issue with people reading my journal though. Hope you still want to be my friends!

5 comments:

Jentry said...

That is a very cool goal. There was a lady in my home ward that knew every verse to every hymn because she sang them to her kids all the time. It can be done. I'm sure you know most of them better than you think you do. It has been my goal to try not to open up the hymn book at church and see how much I have memorized already. Good luck with your recital!

Natalie said...

Our ward chorister is a recent convert, so she always picks hymns that she doen't know, that nobody knows. Its really different, but cool... they're all in there for a reason. Good luck!

Mike and Kelly said...

Great goal. I am proud of you and your ambition. I don't know if I would be able to bust out in song around town, although Hobby Lobby usually plays hymns in their store and I sometimes sing along to them. That is as ambitious as I get. Good Luck!

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Kevin.. you're funny dude. Yeah if you can't make the full two minutes of the sonicare, I'd say its a good thing you changed your mind about the whole orthodontist thing... you don't have to brush eyes though, so your current choice of occupation should work out great, ha ha.