Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fourth of July weekend

Now that my apartment is back to normal...I figured it was time to post something happy!

Last week, my parents came into to TOWN!!! We had a blast having them over. They came in on the 2nd of July, and right when they got here, we rushed them over downtown so they could see the sights before it got too crazy for the fourth. We went and saw Independence Hall, and the Liberty Bell, then we went to Geno's for some cheese steaks! Kevin was a great tour guide, and it was a perfect day to go see the sights...it wasn't too hot and there were hardly any crowds! Unfortunately, we didn't get too many pictures of my parents, but they were there...I promise! We were just having too much fun I guess!



The next morning, we went to Valley Forge! This was a lot more fun this time because it wasn't snowy, we had an actual tour guide, and there were even actors there to show us what Valley forge would have been like!




My Dad!





This time, Kevin and I also got to see the Cathedral at Valley Forge! We didn't have enough time to see it last time. The Cathedral is very pretty! The Stain glass was amazing! It had a bunch of pictures of George Washington, and other important figures in the stain glass. Unfortunately, my camera is not exceptionally nice so it was hard to take any good pictures inside!



After Valley Forge, we headed downtown again to see a few more things and to watch the Philadelphia Orchestra play before the fireworks! We thought it would have been better to go Saturday night when it wasn't as hot and we didn't have as much traffic. Before going to Penn's Landing for the concert and fireworks, we went to Reading Terminal Market, The Betsy Ross House, Christ's Church, and The Franklin Fountain.

Reading Terminal Market is the oldest farmers market in the nation. It has been around since 1883. We went there to check it out and eat lunch.


It was fun to walk around and look at all the little vendors, and they had some good food there too.

The Betsy Ross house was jam packed that day! It was hard to get around and see everything there with so many people there, but we really enjoyed what we did see. I didn't get too many pictures here because of how crowded it was.


Christ's Church is where a lot of Revolutionary Heroes went to church. Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Betsy Ross, and Thomas Jefferson are just a few of the many people that attended church here.


This is the pew that Benjamin Franklin often sat in.

Franklin Fountains is a restaurant that serves homemade icecream and fountain drinks. It's decorated like an old ice cream parlor and all their icecream is made the old fashioned way! Their ice cream is SOOOO good!




Finally, we headed to Penn's Landing for the Philadelphia Orchestra concert. We thought we got some pretty good seats at first until the concert started and
THIS


Turned into
THIS


We were sitting on steps that surrounded the stage, but during the concert, a group of people decided that they could stand in front of everyone behind them so that they could watch the concert. Everyone was ticked (especially me). A few people yelled at them (I bit my tongue a few times). I was just so mad that we sat there for about two hours saving our seats and people who came at the last minute thought it was okay to block everyones view. A guard came by to push everyone away, but as soon as he left, another crowd came in to watch the show!




Other than that, the concert was amazing! I wish I could go to some actual concerts, but those are some expensive tickets! We watched fireworks after that. It was the best fireworks show I have seen by far! Everything was timed so perfectly with the music. For the finale, they played a galloping song I can't remember the name to and at the end when the horse neighed fireworks popped out as if the sky were neighing. I don't know if that makes sense, but it was AWESOME!!!!


This was the first part of the show...


This was the last part of the show. To see what I meant by the horse thing fast forward to 6:40. It doesn't look as cool as how I remembered it (probably because its on camera and doesn't catch the light fast enough) but it is still pretty neat! Coolest thing I have ever seen!

All in all, we had a great fourth of July Weekend, it was fun to actually be at the places where it all began and I felt like a gained a little more pride in my country!

Coming soon....Maryland with my sister, and Palmyra.

3 comments:

Bryn and Sierra Charsley said...

Ellen, you are always having so much fun!! I told you you were going to have an awesome adventure!! That would be a pretty sweet thing to spend the 4th where it all started! I miss you!

Joy Boggess said...

hey ellen! sierra and i were looking at your blog and talking about how much fun you guys have all the time! that is awesome that your parents came and you guys had so much fun! you are the ultimate partier and i am coming to YOU next time i am in some need of fun!!! love you ellen!

Unknown said...

That was the coolest firework show I have seen!! And I agree with the others, you two are having tons of fun out there. Love you!