Tuesday, May 10, 2011

1 down, 2 more to go

This last Saturday, we had our first week of our "Bake Sale Fundraiser". Each week, we focus on a different baked item. This last week was cinnamon rolls, this week is Jumbo Chocolate chip cookies, and the last one will be homemade white bread.

So far, it has been great. We had 30 orders for cinnamon rolls for mother's day, meaning we had to make 165 cinnamon rolls! It was a challenge, but luckily we got them all done in a good amount of time.


To say that it went perfectly would be a lie though. The night before, and the morning of our big bake day, I tried to get a bunch of batches done on my own so that we wouldn't be baking ALL day. That morning, I was scrambling around trying to get everything ready. While running around, I put my Cuisinart above my fridge to give me more counter space so I could roll dough out later. Then I microwaved some butter, but when I took it out it was too hot to put in my dough mixture (too hot kills the yeast), so I decided to put it in the freezer for a minute to allow it to cool faster. As I opened the freezer, my Cuisinart fell on top on me. I dropped the glass bowl of butter on the floor, and while trying to dodge the Cuisinart, stepped on a big shard of glass. I didn't think I was hurt or anything until I saw blood on the floor, but I was more upset at the mess I had just made than the big cut on my foot.

Luckily, I have a friend (who happens to be the 2nd counselor) who lives right next to us. I called her while trying to clean up my foot, and trying to hold back from crying and I asked her for help. Normally, I would have just sucked it up and just done it myself...but I have learned that it is much easier to just call people and accept help when I really need it.

She was SO great! She came right over, brought a first aid kit, and helped me clean the melted butter on my floor and the shards of glass everywhere! Then she helped me get the rest of that batch done, and make some phone calls! It really calmed me down just to have someone else there!

My other leaders were great too! They were so helpful bringing the girls over, and helping us be organized with this whole fundraiser! I really am blessed to have great friends in my life!

Most of the gang, frosting cinnamon rolls while we wait for the others to cook!

Sister Holland, rolling out the dough!

The young women had a good time too! They really were a lot of help as well, and did a great job getting the rest of the cinnamon rolls done and packaged!
Sister Jester, Sister Palmer, Me, Brittany, and Nyla
(Sister Lake was taking the picture)

This week is cookies, and we don't have as many orders because mother's day is over, but I am looking forward to something a little easier, and low key!

1 comment:

Jaymie and Justin said...

I won't lie, I'm really glad cinnamon rolls are done with! Hopefully cookies and bread won't be too bad.