Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!


In Honor of Halloween..."Kevin and Ellen Cullen"

Kevin and I LOVE Halloween! This year was a little depressing because we couldn't decorate for it since our stuff is being packed away. And to top it all off...this Saturday we were going to get our family pictures in the FALL leaves and then head to our wards chili cook off but it SNOWED!!!!! I was so upset! I have been waiting since last fall to get our pictures taken in the beautiful fall leaves here, since it is our last fall in Philly. But mother nature wouldn't have it. She had to snow on my parade, and we had to cancel our pictures. Hopefully the weather will stay nice next weekend.

After canceling our pictures, I decided to get excited about the Halloween Party. I struggled all morning trying to think of a costume Kevin and I could wear. I hate going to parties and feeling like I didn't join in the fun! It was hard trying to think of something to be without going out to the store to buy something to go with it...but I was determined not to buy anything for our Halloween costume this year since we were trying to pack and get rid of things. Finally, it struck me! I ran into our bedroom (Kevin was still sleeping), jumped on the bed and excitedly told Kevin I knew what we were going to be for the Trunk or Treat/Chili cook-off party. After I told Kevin my idea, he even got a little excited!

Then I started making chili! I doubled my recipe because we have a ton of beef I need to get rid of, so I was excited for an excuse to get rid of some of it! Things were looking up for the Wheats, when all of a sudden I got a text message saying the Ward party had been cancelled due to snow! :( My heart broke for all our leaders that worked so hard this week to make it happen. Especially when I looked out the window and it really wasn't that bad. But Philly people get a little crazy when it comes to snow. They freak out if there is any weather at all really. But it was probably a blessing in disguise because we haven't had time to take our car in to get our four wheel drive fixed and our heat/ air conditioning stopped working this summer so it would be hard to defog our windows. I was bummed we couldn't show off our last minute costumes, and get rid of my chili!

Anyway, shortly after posting my emotions on facebook, a friend from the ward called to see if we wanted to get rid of our chili and hang out at her house! I gave a thought about our car, and immediately said,"yes!" We drove to her house with the windows cracked open a bit so that we wouldn't fog the windows with our breath, and drove very slow and carefully!

We had a great time hanging out with friends! It was much needed! I feel cooped up in my apartment sometimes with all this packing and need to get out...so it was great being able to have a bit of socialization. Plus, I got rid of a good amount of chili but still had a bit left over for our dinner the next day!


Mrs. Peacock with the Rope, and Professor Plum with the Wrench

All in all, what could have been a horrible day, turned out to be a great day to spend with friends! :)

Oh...and another plus, I got my whole kitchen packed up and ready to go to a storage unit! It feels SO good to have that done and over with!

2 comments:

Sierra Charsely said...

I love it!! good job with your kitchen. You should come help me pack up mine next april...cause im not excited for that. I love your costumes, im not suprised at all, you always, and i mean always come up with the best ideas!!

Jaymie and Justin said...

Great costume idea! You are so on the ball! I can't believe your kitchen is all packed.