
(From left to right: Crystal, Leticia, Alicia, ME, Sister Holland (back), Lakesha, Nyla, Javon, Sister Jester (front) Not pictured is Sister Lake...she was taking the picture! Thanks Annalisa, we should have got you in there somehow!
As I said before, I have been released as Young Women's President. It has been bittersweet in the past couple of weeks knowing I was going to be released, and then finally being released. I have feelings of relief and heartbreak all at the same time.
When I first got called as YW President, I was scared out of my mind! The day I was sustained, I cried pretty much all day, and it didn't help that I couldn't sleep at all the night before. When I was set apart, I was amazed at how many things flooded into my mind that it actually made it hard to sleep a couple days after that as well. There was so much to do. Getting organized seemed to take weeks and felt like a full time job.
Throughout serving in Young Women's I have learned that this is one of the BUSIEST callings I have ever had in my entire life. There were Presidency meetings, BYC meetings, Class Presidency meetings, Ward Council, seminary (I drove the girls once a week), Stake Activities, weekly activities, New Beginnings, YW in excellence, transitioning into R.S., fundraising for Girls Camp, and getting them involved with Personal Progress (We haven't had someone complete PP since 2008). Yet, even though it was super busy all the time, I am SO grateful that I was able to get to know these girls.
I remember when I was a teenager, my mom would take me orchestra practice and voice lessons every week. Sometimes I hated it, but most of the time I secetly loved it. During those car rides, my mom and I would talk about anything and everything. I believe that because I was able to have that time to talk to my mom, I was able to make good decisions and make my own opinions of the world around me. I was able to create my own identity through these chats.
In YW, my favorite memories have been driving some of these girls to activities. This was MY time to get to know the girls and what was going on in their lives. It was the perfect time for me to give them words of wisdom and to hear them soak it in as we discussed things in the car. One time, I had to pick up a couple of young women from their high school so that I could get them to seminary on time. Because I don't know the area very well my GPS took me on a highway congested with traffic. It took a full hour to get off the highway and the girls missed seminary. I was so frustrated with myself, but I was so glad I was able to spend time getting to know the girls better.
A lot of these girls do not have mothers (either because they have passed, they are divorced, or they do.. but aren't strong members of the church). As a result, it makes it really hard to get them to come to church every week. This has given me a strong testimony in the importance of having mothers, and setting an example to our children through church attendance. As a result, this has made the calling that much harder to be released from because I feel as if I have adopted them as my own. One day, I called my mother crying about how hard it was to know that I was going to be leaving these exceptional girls. I felt like I was turning my back from my own daughters. At this my mother said, "YW is one of the hardest callings in the church because of all the time you have to put into it, but it is also the hardest to leave because of the connection you gain with the girls. You love those you serve."
It is SO true! I love these girls!!! To me they will always be my girls even if I am no longer in Young Women's. I have been so blessed just to be able to get to know them and watch their testimonies progress! My hope is that someday I will be able to have at least one daughter so I can teach her the importance of the YW program and how it can bless her life just like it has blessed mine and the girls I have served.
Tonight, I had my last activity with my lovely young women. This activity was a time to say good-bye to the old leaders, and hello to the new leaders. It was great to just chill out with them and see them so happy and smiling! I know they will be in great hands, and I'm glad that I at least have 2 months left to see them each Sunday!
3 comments:
just like you will always remember them, these girls will always remember you and the example you set. no doubt about it, Heavenly Father put you in this calling for a reason and look at all those beautiful girls lives you have touch and served (:
Yay! I am so glad Javon was there!
Everything you said was sooo true!!! It was a very busy calling, but so worth it. I loved my times in the car with the girls too. That, and girls camp, were my favorite times. Who's the new president? So many girls are different. I miss them :(
Post a Comment